AbstractThe fatty acid composition and total fatty acid content of seeds from 36 black currant (Ribes nigrum) genotypes developed at the Scottish Crop Research Institute in Dundee, UK were examined. A rapid small-scale procedure, involving homogenization of seeds in toluene followed by sodium methoxide transesterification and gas chromatography, was used. There was considerable variation between genotypes. The γ-linolenic acid content generally varied from 11 to 19% of the total fatty acids, but 3 genotypes had higher values of 22-24%, levels previously not reported for black currant seed and similar to those for borage seed. Other nutritionally important fatty acids, stearidonic acid and α-linolenic acid, varied from 2 to 4% and 10-19%, respectively. The mean total fatty acid contents ranged from 14 to 23% of the seed, but repeatability was poor. The results are discussed. Black currant seeds are mainly byproducts from juice production, and the study shows the potential for developing black currant genotypes with optimal added value.